Friday, April 13, 2007

fashion police

Today I was presented with an unexpected task at work. I have been elected to join a new staff committee. They are calling themselves "The Fashion Police". I was given a little pretend "badge", now sitting on my desk, that says "Chief". Not only am I on the squad, it looks like a have a high rank as well.

This group, comprised of myself and 5 other staff members at the museum where I work, will literally be in charge of writing a new policy on employee dress standards. From the top down to the reception desk, we will be deciding what will and won't be acceptable attire for work.

Now, while I have noticed that there are maybe a few people I work with who don't necessarily dress as well for work as one might hope (considering the public nature of their job), it truly never would have occurred to me that we might need to create a fashion police squad - and more importantly, that I would be a member of it.

Next week, me and the rest of the officers will be meeting to start work on our fashion bi-laws. Oh, and it has also been suggested that once we're done, I SHOULD BE THE PERSON to formally present these new rules to everyone in a "light and funny way" during our monthly all staff meeting. I can pretty much guarantee that the girls who sell tickets at the museum entrance will find nothing funny about me telling them they might need to invest in a sensible pants suit.

Is this crazy to anyone else? I mean, I actually do love where I work - so if this is my only complaint, things could certainly be worse. Maybe somebody here in the office is secretly reading my blog, and this post specifically - and they know that deep down, I sort of want to be Stacy London.

4 comments:

Bossy Bar-Wife said...

Clearly, this is a high honor. You must be the best dressed in the office! Congrats, chief.

Brianne T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brianne T said...

I was actually thinking recently that Stacy London reminds me of you. In a good way. Some folks at my school need better parameters about what to wear to work. Why don't people understand that flip flops and sweats aren't professional educator attire? But it's better than at my old school where everyone wore clothing decorated with puffy paint and faux jewels.

Mayor of Crazytown said...

I'm not going to lie, it seems a little weird, but I can't wait to hear about how you present it in a light and funny way.
Be careful though- don't forget how crazy West Beverly High got after the School Board adopted a dress code when it wasn't on the meeting agenda!
Maybe you should show that clip?